Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chickens, and a 7 year old

I like to take my little friends to visit their grandparents' barnyard. We walk out into the chicken yard where there are about 200 chickens and countless chicks. Their pens are designed in a way that allows the chickens to go in and out at their will, so there are always chickens running around the barnyard.
My 7 year old nephew remembers all their names, too. As we walk around the barnyard, he points them out to me.

Him: "Hey look, there's Treck. And over here is Carmel and Ruffle."
Me: "How can you tell them apart?"
Him: "If you look close, you can see that Ruffle is a little bit fluffier. Oh, there goes Blackie. And those ones are Tony, Tuffy, and Sparky."

We peer into a pen that has 1 hen, and 5 rooster chicks. One of them strains his neck and begins to crow. It sounds awful. Nothing like a real rooster crow. He sounds like he needs to clear his throat, I think.
Just then my nephew comes over. "Oh, that's Scuffy, the pubert rooster," he says.

2 comments:

  1. I saw your comment on we are THAT family, and I had to see what you were talking about... Too funny! My daughter saw a horse at the fair, and was telling us how sad he was, being in a cage. It's so special how connected kids are to animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by my blog... It's really awesome how things work out.. I was just drawn to your comment... and here we are! Well, I started my blog to be about my children, life as stay at home mom, etc... And here's it's turned into something about relationships, my adoption experience, etc. So, the best thing to say is to keep coming back,because that is what I am writing about! My 100th post is coming up, and I am working on 'my story'. You could also email me at mama2tlc (at) gmail . com I am also interested in seeing more about you. You look like your off to a good start with your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete